2013…a pretty big year for me!
My ‘baby’ was graduating High School and heading off to a new chapter. We were looking at our empty nest. I was building a new business in an already 15 year career in the needlework industry.
Cross Stitch & Needlework magazine came along & asked me to design a year long series – yes, most of the designing took place in 2013 while the actual series published throughout 2014.
Several of the issues have since sold out & of course the magazine is not around anymore. It is probably the one magazine series I am most asked about!
So here I am, ready to re-package, re-publish, & re-introduce A Year of Celebrations.
I don’t normally devote an entire blogpost to something like this…but this one will spark many question – questions I hope to answer here.
- all 12 months are included in 1 chart!
- each design is 50×50 – models are stitched on 32ct Dirty Belfast
- I have added 2 new designs – let’s call them a more ‘Canadian friendly’ version of July & November (yes, I read ALL of the emails!) – that actually makes 14 designs in this chart!
- It uses A LOT of colors…did I say A LOT of colors?
- a little more about that – each month has it’s own color palette – when I originally designed them, I wasn’t thinking about 1 cohesive color palette.
- Here’s where you need to grab your extra bits & bobs of hand-dyeds & DMC. None of the stitching areas are very big, so not much yardage needed. I did go back & consolidate a few colors where I felt I could, without compromising the original look of the design. I did also offer DMC equivalents in each month.
- Weeks Dye Works: Absinthe, Acorn, Amethyst, Battleship, Bluecoat Blue, Bluecoat Red, Boysenberry, Capri, Chablis, Clockwork, Crimson, Deep Sea Envy, Grapevine, Graphite (Canada only), Kohl, Liberty, Marigold, Moonglow, Onyx, Peoria Purple, Pumpkin, Purple Rain, Swiss Chocolate, Watermelon
- Gentle Arts Sampler Threads: Avocado, Baby Spinach, Barn Grey, Bittersweet, Blue Jay, Brandy, Carriage Black, Gold Leaf, Huckleberry, Nutmeg, Pine, Pink Azalea, Pomegranate, Presidential Blue, Punchberry, Schoolhouse Red, Spring Grass, Sunflower, Tea Rose, Terra Cotta
- Classic Colorworks: Frog Legs, Snowball
These would be adorable in a 4×4 frame to switch out each month…there are so many wonderful finishing possibilities!
I will be putting together a tutorial for how I finished mine, so be on the lookout for that!
Thanks for your time & as always, enjoy the stitch!
Cathy, Hands On Design